Commitment to Care for May 2023
You may work at a workplace or remotely. You may work for wages or salaries or as a volunteer for an organization. What can you influence in “your workplace” to support?
Green the work space and work practices
- Make or encourage purchases of local products? recycled paper products?
- Avoid purchasing and reduce amount of single use plastics?
- Purchase products with no/less packaging, especially avoiding plastic?
- Add plants to green work space with healthier air?
- Bring a refillable water bottle to work?
Advocate with employers to green your company, agency
- Provide water bottle refill stations?
- Use programmable thermostats?
- Use motion-sensing for lighting and faucets?
- Replace non-LED light bulbs with LEDs?
- Suggest reducing lawn and adding native plants to the grounds if your workplace owns its building?
Promote greening among fellow workers and clients/customers/students
- Some ideas:
- Use electronic media rather than paper?
- Find ways to encourage employees to carpool to work? To lunch together?
- Start composting coffee grounds as a way to reduce trash and create healthier soil?
- Provide updates about what is recyclable and what is not?
- Share ideas about ways you save energy at home?